This new family recipe is going to be a staple in our home. Cabbage and Sausage bake. It is easy, nourishing, delicious and kid approved. Need I say more?
Last week we let the kids stay up a little late to watch the gorgeous harvest moon rise. Of course that welcomed the opportunity for a certain little girl to ask a million questions. “Why is it called a harvest moon?” (It happens during harvest time, in September, and is bright enough that it allows farmers to continue harvest after the sun goes down.) “What do farmer’s harvest?” “Why don’t we have a garden?” Why are you letting me stay up past bedtime?” “Are the owls going to come out soon?” Oh goodness. What a wonderful way to welcome fall though, to watch the moon rise. It means that we have survived yet another Summer. Now comes the season that makes it worth living here for!
So with this delicious cabbage and sausage bake, I say welcome fall.
- ½ lb sausage
- ½ onion
- 1 small cabbage
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium heat and add sausage, and diced onion.
- Meanwhile, core and cut the cabbage into thin strips.
- When the sausage is almost cook through add the cabbage to the pan. Sprinkle with chipotle powder.
- Cook until the cabbage is mostly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Dump the sausage and cabbage into a buttered baking dish.
- Pour the sour cream on top, and sprinkle the cheese.
- Place in the oven, and bake for about 30 minutes.
- I served this dish atop rice.
Do you enjoy looking for the full moons? This is what it looked like to us this year. Stunning.
Photo Credit here